Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and Fall cases arise when injuries are sustained from falls resulting from property-owner negligence.
If you have been injured in a Slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for economic loss and/or pain and suffering. Property owners have a "duty of care" which requires them to keep their premises safe and free of hazards. Often, accidents occur when owners neglect to ensure that their establishment or property is safe. The property owner may be an individual, a business or a governmental organization.
Here are some typical examples of slip and fall accidents where failure in duty of care has resulted in injury and liability:
- In Barrie, Ontario, someone entering a dimly-lit restaurant did not notice a small step between two areas of the room. As a result the person tripped on the step and suffered a back injury.
- In Collingwood, Ontario, a person was leaning against a balcony railing which gave way causing the person to fall 15 feet onto a concrete landing. The owner of the home was aware that the balcony was rotten but failed to make the necessary repairs or warn people not to use the balcony.
- In Midland, Ontario, a person was leaving a tavern and slipped on some ice on the sidewalk in front of the building. The person broke their wrist and suffered a concussion. It was determined that the tavern owner failed to take the necessary precautions to clear the sidewalk and compensation was awarded to the injured person.
- In Owen Sound, Ontario, someone attending a wedding tripped over an electrical cord that was adjacent to the dance floor and fell into a chair and broke their nose. Compensation was awarded since adequate safety measures had not been taken.
- In Orillia, Ontario, a renter of an apartment fell down several stairs leading to the basement apartment while carrying a few light items. As a result of the fall, the person's pelvis was broken and she suffered prolonged lower back pain. The apartment owner was deemed negligent and compensation was awarded to the injured party.
There are time limits on most slip & fall or trip & fall cases. If you have suffered injuries in a fall, contact Rastin & Associates today to find out whether you are entitled to compensation.